Saturday, April 11, 2015

Andrew's First Photography

Meet my grandson, Andrew.
He's two.
 
 
 
Today I gave him a camera to use.
We are not talking about a kids camera, nosiree.
We are talking about a Canon Power Shot A3300 IS that set me back $120.
"You have to keep the cord around your neck so you don't drop it," I told him. "And you have to turn it off when you're not taking pictures."
Buttons are a breeze for this kid. Show him once where stuff is and he's got it!
Andrew took a few shots of the bird feeder through the screen in the window.
 
 
He lined his Gummy Bears up and took their pictures too.
 
 
He took pictures of his game on my Nook.
 
 
He took pictures of Pop-pop and the cats too.
"You wanna go outside and take some pictures?" I asked Andrew.
"Yeah," he answered and he went for the dog leashes.
Everyone ready we went out and walked up the Strip to Two-Bit Town.
I didn't even know he took this photo.
 
 
I didn't want to unduly influence Andrew.
I let him take pictures of whatever he wanted and sometimes
he took pictures of his feet.
 
 
I got tickled when I saw him squat to get a photo.
This is my photo of Andrew...
 
 
...and this is what he photographed.
 
 
We were walking around some abandoned mini golf props.
I stood back and let him wander and take photos.
 He took these, all on his own! No prompting or pointing by me.
 
 


 
 
 
He explored piece by piece.
 

 
Andrew seemed to like this pile of junk and took a series of photos. I heard the camera go click, click, click.

 
This one is my favorite.
 
 
He squatted down to shoot into the opening of the miniature building.
 
 
Here's his shot.
 
 
He took a picture of the green one too.
These would be the openings you would putt your ball through on
the mini golf course.
 
 
Andrew walked over to take a picture of this barrel roll.
 
 
Here's the photo he took.
 
 
Andrew handled the camera with skill and respect.
 
 
We left there and went down Valley Road.
"This is dogwood Andrew," and he got his camera out of his pocket where he was keeping it when he wasn't using it, turned it on and took this photo. I'm in focus,
the dogwood is not.
I foresee a lesson on focus in his future.
 
 
We heard an airplane.
 
 
Andrew got it!
And his finger too, but we won't talk about that.
 
 
I stopped to photograph the lilacs and Andrew took a few shots of them too.
I like this one of his.
 
 
  Andrew took six shots of the wheels on his stroller. 
What is it about wheels that men find so fascinating?
 
 
 Tired of walking, Andrew rode for a while. Gingers leash is over the handle of the stroller and Andrew took several photos of Ginger's backside.
 
 
At one point Ginger found something to roll in.
"Oh, look! Ginger's having a rub in the grass!" I said to Andrew.
He took a photo of it, but it's just a brown blur in the grass,
so I'll spare you.
Andrew took some general scenery photos too.
 
 
He took pictures of litter too!
Hmmm. Have you ever known me to do that?
 

I don't know why he was photographing the roadside litter,
but he was pointing it out to me.
"I know," I told him. "That's bad to throw your trash out the car window."

 
Then we heard a helicopter!
Guess who broke all the rules of photography and shot into the sun?
He got the helicopter though.
I'm so proud of him!
 
 
This is my shot of the helicopter.
 
 
Does that mean that Grammy broke the rules and shot into the sun too?
Well, I shot towards, not into.
 
I can't tell you or impress upon you enough that these photos are Andrew's.
He took them of his own volition.
I showed him how to turn the camera on. I told him that this camera was not like my camera.
(I use the view finder on mine)
I told him he had to see it on the screen.
And I showed him where the button was to take the photograph.
"When you're not using it you have to turn it off," I told him after we took a few practice photos.
Andrew tipped the camera up, zeroed in on the on/off button and turned the camera off.
He knows the on button performs both functions.
Did I mention that he's two?
For the most part Andrew remembered to look at the screen, however, there was a time or two I caught him doing this.
 
 
Old habits die hard -- he's used my camera twice.
And this is what he sees me doing.
Does he know what he's doing?
I don't know,
but I do know that he got some awesome shots!
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment