Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Doggone Windows!

Sunday, March 13, 2016

Oh my goodness!
What a week this has been!
Things are blooming here in Missouri and even though a couple of blossoms were open, this wild plum bud is my current desktop photo.


<<<<<>>>>>

This past week I was working on my computer. I was on the internet. I got up to do something and when I came back Windows 10 was downloading.
Unfortunately, before Windows 10 came out, we were given an option to reserve our copy. “For a limited time only,” they said. “Reserve your copy now,” they said. Well heck yeah! I jumped right on that. It sounded like I was getting something for nothing! Mike and I both reserved our copies.
When Mike downloaded and installed Windows 10 he had nothing but problems. While trying to resolve Mike’s issues with Windows 10, I discovered a whole lot of people were having problems with the upgrade.
“If you are not having any trouble with your operating system then I wouldn’t install Windows 10,” was the general consensus.
Now granted, Mike’s operating system was two years older than mine, but I am not having any problems with my Windows 8.1 and I don’t want problems. I don’t want Windows 10!
Every time the notice came up saying my copy of Windows 10 was ready I closed it and ignored it. So I was confounded as to why it was installing now when I did not tell it to! And I was afraid to pull the plug and make it stop because I was afraid of causing errors in my operating system.
I let it install.
Windows 10 is supposed to be so much better than Windows 8.1. It is different but once you get used to it, you will love it - or so I have been told. Once the download and install was complete I started checking things out. All my files were still here. All my photographs. All my letters.
Okay. So far so good.
I opened up the letter I was working on, Trees Bite Too! and my font didn’t look right. I scrolled through the fonts and the one I have been using for the last few years wasn’t on the list.
“What font is that, Peg?” you ask.
Batang. And it defaulted to some other font.
So’ky, I’ll find another font, I thought. It’s not a deal breaker. It will just take getting used to. I fooled around with it, changing the font, looking for something not too thick - so I don’t use more ink than I have to- it can’t be too big or too small, and it has to be easy for these old eyes to read. After one or two changes the program would stall and close on me.
Sigh. 
After fooling with it for a while and having it shut down on me four or five times, I finally settle on a font, Calibri Light and as long as I didn’t change it, things were working okay.
Whew! Cleared that hurdle.
Then I decided to get on the www, the world wide web, and there were more problems there. No web pages would load. I even tried to change browsers and it didn’t matter. Nothing was loading.
I hate that!
It was like a throwback to the 1990’s! You know, when you had to click and wait and wait and wait for the web page to load.
Yeah. Those days.
I was not happy.
It was at that point that I decide to undo the changes. I just couldn’t tolerate it. I was going to do a system restore and go back to my Windows 8.1 operating system. First I made sure to backup everything I didn’t want to lose then when I went to do a system restore I saw there was an option to revert back to 8.1.
Yes!
I clicked on it and I am back in business.
Only…
I keep -kept getting a message to install the Windows 10 upgrade now or schedule it for later.
I don’t want Windows 10! Not now - not later.
So.
I went to the internet and did a search on how to get off the Windows 10 upgrade list. How to stop the notices from coming up and how to stop it from installing automatically again.
And this is what I found out: Microsoft has determined that it is in the best interest of everyone to go to the Windows 10 operating system and have tagged the Windows 10 upgrade as a recommended download. Since my computer settings are - were set to automatically download and install important and recommended updates, it downloaded and installed Windows 10 automatically. It didn’t need me to give it permission. I went into my settings and changed that! Now it has to ask me before it downloads and installs any updates.


No comments:

Post a Comment