Sunday, July 27, 2014

Sunday, July 27, 2014

My current desktop, as with last weeks desktop, may not impress you much.

“What is it?” I hear you ask.

It is a handrail, down the center of a set of steps, that is almost reclaimed by nature.

I want to thank everyone for your outpouring of love, sympathy and prayers at the loss of Tami-Mike’s only biological child-last week.

I owe my brother Mike a huge thank you. When he died he left me a wealth of information in the form of some well thumbed books. Edible Weeds, Identifying Fungus; Trees; Birds; Wildflowers, and I don’t remember what all else.

Mike has been gone for five years now and when I was given his books, I didn’t truly appreciated them. Although I’ve always loved the wildflowers, and wanted to know their names, it hasn’t been until this year that I was interested in harvesting the wild edibles. I was thinking about buying a book about it but when we got back to our mountain home, I found that I already owned one!

So, brother Michael, a great big THANK YOU.

I actually have a note on my list from back in the spring! Can you believe that? And when I see the note it makes me smile.

I had taken the girls out for a walk and Ginger started limping. So I bent down and checked her toes for burs or a piece of twig or rock or something, but there wasn’t anything there. Yet, still she limped. Did I check the wrong foot, I wondered. I have a hard time figuring out which leg hurts when people limp, maybe I had the wrong foot with Ginger too. So once again I stopped and this time I checked all her feet.

She’s faking, I realized. Her feet were wet and they were cold and she didn’t want to walk anymore! So she started limping.

The first time I saw a dog do this was when our oldest boy Chris came to visit us in Pennsylvania with his little Yorkie.

“Chris, he’s limping,” I told him.

“He’s alright,” Chris said. “He just doesn’t like wet feet.” And this is the only reason I knew that dogs would limp on purpose.

In all the years we’ve had Ginger, in all the different kinds of weather I’ve had her out in, she has never pulled this stunt before. But I’m afraid I’m half to blame for this.

“How’s that?” you ask.

I was given booties for Ginger this past winter and she wore them quite a lot. Do you think the booties spoiled her?



This next story is kind of a two part story.

Back when I was working for Mr. Zee, I took him and my other lady, Miss Helen, down to Hope House one day.

“What’s Hope House?” you ask.

It is a thrift store and food pantry. This was back in February or March and we were having a pretty nice day that day. Not too hot, and not too cold, so we took Mr. Zee’s dog Georgie with us and let her wait in the car. Mr. Zee got some food from the food pantry, and Helen and I looked around at the clothes and household items. When all of us were done and we got back out to the car, what do we see?

Georgie had poop all over the seats, that’s what!

Geesh!

I think she pooped on the back seat, walked through it several times and jumped up into the front seats. She certainly made quite a mess, not to mention a stink too, as I bet you can imagine. I got a plastic bag and picked up the nuggets, but I couldn’t do anything about the residue left behind, so I went back in and got some rags to throw over the seats. I always intended to get some fabric cleaner and clean the seats for Mr. Zee, but somehow, I never got around to it.

Then Mr. Zee’s niece borrowed his van and she took the covers off the seats and vacuumed it out before she returned it, full of gas of course. I’m guessing she didn’t know what the spots were, but by this time they were good and dry. From then on we just sat on the spots and I tried not to think about what it was too much.

Just before Mike and I went to Pennsylvania, I took Mr. Zee shopping. One of the things that he bought was a refill size of Out, Pet Stain & Odor Remover. I didn’t think anything about it and I just tossed it in on the seat, in it’s Wal Mart bag, along with the rest of the grocery’s.

Well, guess what?
“What?” you answer.

Some practical joker had loosened the lid of the cleaner and it had leaked into the Wal Mart bag, seeping out a hole in the bag and soaking the back seat!

“Oh no!” I exclaimed when I picked up the dripping bag. I tightened the lid, set the bag on the ground, got some paper towels and soaked up the cleaner.

“Peg, what about the inner seal?” you ask.

I know right! Almost all liquids have a seal under the cap to keep leaks from happening until you get them home. But not all of them. So I was doubly surprised when I unscrewed the lid and saw there was indeed an inner seal. I raked my thumb against it and discovered someone had pulled the inner seal halfway off.

What a stinker!

But even when apparently bad things happen, good things can come from them. It was the perfect time-and the right cleaner-to get Georgie’s residue off the seats and in no time at all, I had the seats clean.

Silver linings, my friends, silver linings.



Speaking of Miss Helen, I had gone out to help with her flower beds late one afternoon and at one point I lost a glove.

“Where’d that glove go?” I asked Miss Helen, like it sprouted legs and ran off on his own. I looked and looked and looked for that glove all the while chatting with Miss Helen.

All of a sudden I hear Miss Helen exclaim, “Here it is!” She must have picked it up with her things when we moved our tools to a new location. I LOVE this photo of her. The shear joy on her face just makes me smile every time I see it. And don’t you just love the sun hat?

Look at this.

“What is it?” you ask.

It’s a baby stroller. It has a partially consumed bottle of water in it as well as three baby shoes.

The first time I saw the stroller was after a brief, but intense rain storm. When I walked past it, I didn’t think too much of it. I just thought they must be in a store shopping. But it was there the next day, and the next day and the next day!

My question is this. Who goes off and leaves a stroller?

In my mind, I can see it all now. The rain is pouring down, Dad went and got the car and drove it to where Mom and Baby waited under the shelter of an awning. Mom pulls Baby from stroller, losing a shoe (that’s why there are only three shoes), hands Baby off to Dad (who is sitting nice and dry in the car) and goes back for the stroller.

That stroller!

It has always been difficult-even under the best of circumstances-to get it to collapse the way it’s supposed to! Stupid stroller!

“JUST LEAVE IT AND LET’S GO!” Dad yells over the roar of the downpour.

Do you think that’s what happened?

Let’s do August birthdays.

Me! 2nd; Bradley Daniel Bowers, 8th; Kayla Olewiler, 13th; Jabe Austin Buhmeier, 13th; Ariana Goldsborough, 20th; Ralph Lewis Smith, 21st; Nicholas Olewiler, 21st; Michael Cosentino, 22nd; Kathryn Lynn Kraft, 25th; Rani Goldsborough, 25th; Clarence Arthur Smith, 28th.

Remember, if my info is wrong, or someone is missing, I won’t know if you don’t tell me. (I love having middle names, birth and death years.)

Let’s call this one done.

Lots and lots of love,

Peg and Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment