I was
working on a portrait of my mother and my aunt. I’ll call it “Sisters” if I
ever finish it. It’s currently at its ugly stage. I can see my mother and my
aunt in them, I just need to pull ‘em out. Whether I can get beyond the ugly to
something I’d be pleased to show remains to be seen.
And no, I don’t feel inclined to show it to you. Not yet.
“I’d like to commission you to paint a picture of my nephew Neil,” Goldie, one of my church peeps said. “He died when he was twenty-one and this is my sister’s favorite picture of him. It’ll be her Christmas gift.”
Neil actually lived with Goldie in his teen years before returning to New Mexico after he graduated school. She loves him like one of her own.
Goldie sent me the picture and I saw that sweet face and knew I wanted to try. I felt honored that she trusted me with something so precious.
I put “Sisters” on the back burner and started Neil.
“Would you like to title it something other than ‘Neil’?” I asked.
“Loved Beyond Words,” she said.
And that says it all.
This is Neil after three days of painting, and I have to tell you, he didn’t have an ugly stage.
Even when he didn’t have eyes at the end of day two.
It’s not done.
I may come
across as prideful when I show you my paintings, but nothing could be further
from the truth. When I look at this... when I look at what my hands have
created, I feel amazed. How is this
even possible? How did this come out of my hands?
And that’s how I felt after painting
“Trish” too.
I’ll never forget that this is truly a
gift from God.
God made me wait a long time before He
gave me my heart’s desire.
“Maybe God waited until your life had
the space, the maturity, and the tenderness to receive the gift fully,” I was
told.
I had the weirdest thought yesterday.
You already know my quirks and how my mind works, and you’ve never made me feel
any less loved because of them. With that in mind, let me tell you the thought
that popped, unbidden, into my head.
Is this how God felt when He created
the world?
I’m not comparing myself to God, not even a little. But maybe the joy I
feel is just a faint echo of the joy our Lord felt. In Genesis 1, after each
act of creation, God looks at what He made and says, “It was good.” And
after He finishes the whole world, He steps back, takes in the full picture,
and says, “It was very good.”
That’s delight.
Satisfaction.
Joy in beauty.
Pleasure in the work of His hands.
And that’s how I feel.
I always tell people, when they praise my paintings, that all the glory goes to God. I’d like to reflect that with a Bible reference on the back of each of my paintings.
I actually got the idea from an egg company that sells to Aldi. They print a Bible verse on the inside of their cartons, and every time I open one it makes me smile. Something about that simple little witness stuck with me, and I thought, “Why couldn’t I do the same with my paintings?”
“What’s it say?” you ask.
“This is the Day which the Lord has made; Let us rejoice and be glad in it. Psalms 118:24”
I don’t know why they capitalize Day and Let, but they do.
Here are three suggestions.
“Not to us, O Lord, not to us, but to Your name give glory.” Psalm 115:1
“For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things. To Him be glory forever.” Romans 11:36
“Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.” 1 Corinthians 10:31
Would y’all think about it and tell me which of these you like or maybe you could suggest something more appropriate.
Not everything I do comes out right.
Let’s go to the kitchen. Yeah. That’s where we’ll go next and I’ll show you my failures, although they weren’t so bad they had to be tossed.
“What did you do now?” you wanna know.
I’ve been collecting things to send to my best old friend in West Virginia. I love surprising her with little pretties and yummy goodies. She’ll call me and we’ll open the box together.
“Since I’m making you a box, can I bake you anything?” I asked her.
“I’ve been hungry for some of your homemade bread,” Trish said.
Who’d’ve thought mixing together flour, water, salt, and yeast, then baking it could make something that someone can dream about?
There’ve been times I’ve sent her boxes of goodies and it took a full week to get to her. Once it took the scenic route and went to Indianapolis, Indiana first!
I always try to send the box on a Monday so it stood a chance of getting there before the weekend.
It takes three hours to make my daughter’s bread recipe. Then cooling time. I got the idea that the truck would leave the Wyalusing post office in the early afternoon.
I can make it in the morning, I thought.
I made the bread and decided to use the proof setting on my oven. I guess I should’ve known to check it before an hour was up. It rose — and fell. I know bread can rise a second time so I left it as long as I could before I felt like time was running out.
I gotta bake it so it can cool, I thought. Putting warm bread in a plastic bag equals soggy bread and if it stays that way the whole way to West Virginia, it could very well arrive moldy, and nobody wants that, not even the birds!
I called the post office to see exactly how much time I had.
“The truck’s just leaving,” Anna told me. It was ten thirty.
Unless I wanted to get up at two in the morning, there was no way to make my plan work. It would just have to be a day older.
I pulled the poor, sad, pathetic first batch from the oven, flipped a loaf out unto my hot pad, then flipped it back, crosswise, on top of the bread tin to cool. It’s the way my mother would do it.
Aye-yi-yi!
It made such a mess. Where the bread rose and fell and rose again (but not as far) created crispies that broke off and scattered across the top of my stove.
I had all day for a do-over and the result of the second batch was much better.
But, like I said, the first batch didn’t go to waste. I shared it.
“It’s still good,” Miss Rosie said.
My second SNAFU was equally as dramatic.
My beautiful friend Annette came to visit. She and her handsome husband recently returned from a trip to Alaska and I wanted to hear all about it.
In celebration of her visit I made a coffee cake.
“You’re my guinea pig,” I told Annette. “My mother liked it baked in a nine-by-nine pan instead of a nine-by-thirteen, so I thought I’d try it that way,” I said. Then added, “Besides, I don’t need that much cake.”
Okay! Okay! I know it’s technically the same amount of cake. Kinda like the old joke, “Cut my pizza into eight. I don’t think I can eat ten.”
I had it timed so it would be baking when she arrived (and make the house smell good) and we could have warm cake. When the timer went off I got up to check it. Then went back to the table where we were having our chat. “It’s not done. It looks far from done! I’ll give it another ten minutes. I knew something was wrong when I poured it into the pan. It’s almost like I only put one cup of flour in it instead of two.”
I did think that, when I was pouring it into the pan. I couldn’t remember
if I’d put in two cups of flour or not, but I figured I must’ve. In my memory,
the batter was supposed to slide slowly from the bowl into the pan — thick
enough that I’d have to spread it across the bottom. Not this time, though.
This time it looked more like a milkshake than a coffee cake.
But it had been a long time since I’ve made a coffee cake.
Maybe I’m misremembering, I told myself, and continued anyway. At that point, I was committed.
After another ten minutes it was done. I let it cool some before I cut it. When I went to plate it I realized all the crumb topping had sunk to the bottom, so I flipped them over.
“It’s still good,” Annette said.
I put some in a to-go container for her husband, flipping one piece over so you could see all the gooey, nutty, sweetness.
Mike took us on a ride-about, ending with a quick trip down to deliver some of this mess to Miss Rosie and Lamar.
They also thought it was good.
That night, while making my TV-watching
bowl of air-popped popcorn and getting the pups their nightly snack, what I
had done wrong flashed in picture form across my mind’s eye.
As plain as day I saw myself measuring out two cups of milk.
Two cups.
I glanced up to the recipe permanently tacked to the wall behind my counter.
Guess what it said.
“One cup?” you guess.
Yep. The recipe only calls for one cup of milk.
OY!
It wasn’t a complete disaster. It still baked up. It still tasted good. It just wasn’t the coffee cake I usually make.
“Could you have added an extra cup of flour?” you ask.
I’d have to ask the wizard of the culinary world, my sister Phyllis, but I bet I could’ve. And who knows? I may even make it that way again. A gooey bottom layer isn’t what the recipe intended, but it sure didn’t hurt anything.
Around the house...
Mike dug the holes around the base of the poles for our drive gates, preparing them for concrete.
We have a concrete mixer but Mike prefers to use the bucket of the tractor to mix and haul the concrete in.
“It’s easier,” he said.
And I can see that. The water and electric are at the house and the place we needed the concrete was near the end of the driveway. There’s no way we could’ve mixed it right by the holes so he would’ve had to tote the mixer the whole way down the driveway. The tractor was definitely the way to go.
Mike broke the bags in half and dumped the concrete out. It made dust.
“Don’t breathe that,” I warned, “or you’ll have concrete coated lungs.”
I operated the hose and added water as Mike turned the concrete.
Mixing concrete by hand reminds me a lot of shoveling snow — it doesn’t look like much until you’re halfway through and wondering why your back hurts and your arms feel like wet noodles. Mike had to take a break and sat on the golf cart, which was nearby.
Rather than stand there and do nothing, I took a turn.
I was surprised when I stopped for a breath and heard the click of the camera shutter. Mike took a picture without me asking him to! And that, my loves, is why you get to see this old woman mixing concrete instead of cake batter.
Back down the driveway we went, Mike on the tractor, me following on the golf cart.
Mike shoveled the concrete into the hole.
Then smoothed the surface with a trowel.
After we finished, and before we cleaned up the tools, we took a quick ride to check on the township guys and let Mike rest for a few minutes.
They’re working on our road, digging out some washboarding, and had our road closed for a couple of days.
Right now it’s just gravel and whether they replace the tar and chip yet this year or wait until they do the whole road next year, we don’t know.
Ignore the guy standing in the weeds. When you gotta go, you gotta go.
We had such a nice visit with my cousin Lorraine and her handsome husband, Mark. They moved to Boquete, Panama four and a half years ago and love it there. Their house has no heating unit and no air conditioning — that’s how temperate the weather is.
I think Mike is the only one who remembered to suck his gut in.
I finally put something on top of my art cart that Tiger would lay on again. It’s my lap quilt that Trish made for me several years ago.
And Bondi wanted to go out for some vitamin D. I tried taking her out and sneaking back in, but it didn’t work. A few minutes later she’d be coming back in the house, then standing at the door woofing. After the third time, despite the fact that I was busy writing my jibber-jabber, I resigned myself to spending ten minutes or so outside with her.
The sun had moved past where it would shine on the patio so I leaned against the post and just... did nothing. I looked over at my troop and saw how happy and content they were and smiled.
Sitting in the sun is such a simple thing to do for them and with them. Unfortunately, our sun-sitting days are coming to an end.
Bondi is okay, I guess, since her bout with paralysis. She still walks a
little funny, but she gets around, and that’s all I care about. Mike and I are
trying to keep her from re‑injuring her spine, so we discourage all forms of
jumping — up or down, doesn’t matter.
Easier said than done.
We keep Bondi tied at night so she has to stay on the bed. She has enough leash to get under the covers and almost down to our feet, and she doesn’t complain. Not usually.
Until the other morning.
I’d stayed up until almost one, caught up in a story I’m reading. At four, Bondi started fussing. I was tired and didn’t want to get up, so what did I do? I unhooked her and put her on the floor, figuring she’d go out and do her business.
Wrong.
All was well as I came out of the bedroom. I glanced around the living room — nothing. Through the dining room — still nothing. Out to the kitchen — nothing there either. Then I went for food to feed the cats, and I found it.
“Bondi!” I called.
Raini, head down, ducked out the pet flap. She knew what Bondi had done and was getting out of the line of fire.
I called a couple more times, but Bondi knew she was in trouble and wasn’t coming willingly. I started toward the living room, and she was already coming out — on her belly. Poor dog.
I smiled inwardly, picked her up, carried her to the mess, set her down, and said, “What did you do?” And in case she didn’t understand, I said it again, “Bondi, what did you do?” She looked truly contrite.
“OUTSIDE!” I said in my mean‑mommy voice. I can’t have her thinking what she did was okay. She almost looked relieved when she got up, turned tail, and headed for the door.
She does use the pet door, so I don’t know why sometimes she chooses not to.
We watched The Wizard of Oz Saturday night on Svengoolie. During the breaks, Sven had all kinds of Oz trivia, and it was really interesting.
If you’ve ever read the book, it’s not much like the movie. In Baum’s
version, Dorothy’s shoes were silver, not ruby. The ruby slippers were added
later because they showed up better on Technicolor. And the Wicked Witch of the
West hardly appears in the book at all — she’s only in one chapter.
Sven also does a segment called “Too Drawn Out,” and Sven actually draws pretty well. Sometimes I get what he’s drawing, sometimes I don’t. Last night he drew “hell,” and a hot dog — sometimes called a “frank” — and then a bomb. I got it right away: L. Frank Baum, who wrote the original Wizard of Oz.
Someone else who draws well is Trent. People send him all kinds of crazy things to draw, and he draws them. So many people follow them that they’ve made a business from Trent’s drawings, and all the money goes to support Trent, as he’ll never be independent. You can find Trent on Facebook and YouTube, but Sven might be harder to find.
Fall is in the air.
Here’s a taste of colors to come.
Eating apples.
Even after the birds eat the pokeberries, there’s pretty stars left behind.
I hardly ever see these guys and I saw two in the last couple of weeks.
Let’s call this one done!
Done!

No comments:
Post a Comment