Sunday, January 17, 2021

Just Like That

          It was bound to happen.

          Sooner or later, it was bound to happen.

          “Peg! What’s goin’ on” you wanna know. “And what’s that funny mark after my question?”

          That ‘funny mark’ is called an interrobang. It’s a combination question mark and exclamation point. Sometimes, even though it’s a question, I’ll just use an exclamation point. The editor on my word processor wants me to use a question mark, but a question mark alone doesn’t give it emphasis. Some people will use the two marks separately with the main feeling being on the first of the two. I’m not sure I like the interrobang and may go back to the way I used to do it.

          And to answer your first question, not a lot. And that was bound to happen sooner or later. COVID keeps us at home with very little physical contact with the outside world. But I have the internet to keep me connected and most mornings I call my Miss Rosie.

          “Hey, Miss Rosie!” I cheerfully say when she answers.

          “Hey, Miss Peg!” she always responds. “What’d’ya know today?” she asked before I could.

          “Hey! That’s my line!” I told her.

          “I know. I said it before you could this morning.”

          We chatted for a few minutes, covering the little bit of news since our conversation the day before and it didn’t take very long either.

          “Boy! We lead such exciting lives!” I told her.

          “I know. I find it interesting to see what you’ll write about in your letters.”

          I laughed. “So do I!”

          And BAM! Just like that she’s given me something to write about!

 

>>>*<<<

           I’m not one to change things too fast. But I guess you figured that out about me since the last time I told you I couldn’t change Momma’s label on my phone.

Kat’s been gone five-going-on-six years now and we’re still ‘friends’ on Facebook. Sometimes I’ll scroll through her page, read her posts, see the pictures she painted. I’ll never delete her.

Little Itsy’s been gone since December and my alarm is still set for 5:30 a.m. Seldom do I get up at 5:30 a.m. Another alarm goes off half an hour later, at 6. If I’d been up in the middle of the night taking Itsy outside, I’d wait until the later alarm to get up and take her out again.

“Why don’t you turn off the 5:30 alarm,” my handsome husband asked. “You never get up till 6 anyway.”

I can’t explain it. I can’t explain why. “I like it,” is what I tell him. “I like the half hour of snoozing before I get up.” But it’s more than that. When the alarm goes off at 5:30, it reminds me of Itsy. If the alarm didn’t go off anymore, maybe I wouldn’t think of her anymore either.

Saturday morning, I was up before the first alarm. Way before the first alarm. I was up at 11:30, though technically that’s still Friday night. Mike had been asleep when I put my book down around 10:00 and now he was watching TV. “What’s wrong?” I asked.

“Can’t sleep,” he answered.

I threw an arm over my head and went back to sleep.

Waking up several times in the night is nothing new for me. Hot flashes demand an immediate unsleep and uncover. Then I can’t go back to sleep until the hot flash has passed, I’ve cooled off and can snuggle back down in the blankets again. Around 3 Saturday morning I woke up with no hot flash and laid there listening. What woke me up? I wonder.

“You awake,” came a tiny whisper from the other side of my king-size bed.

If I’d been asleep, it wouldn’t have woken me.

“Yeah,” I whisper back. Saying it too loud would crack the gauzy haze of sleepfulness I was struggling to hold on to.

I went back to sleep.

Five o’clock I wake again and this time decided to get up and start my day. It is, after all, my day to visit with you! 

>>>*<<<

My decluttering, dusting, and cleaning carried me into the bedroom where I found some coins in the bottom of a basket sitting on my dresser. I don’t know what else was in there, at least not anymore, and the coins were covered in green and white barnacles.

Okay! Okay! They weren’t really barnacles but something bumpy and green and white was growing on them.

“What can I use to get this off with?” I asked Mike but he didn’t know. I know that you can use vinegar to remove rust from things like tools and nuts and bolts. I wonder if it’ll work on pennies. I got a little bowl, dumped in some vinegar and the coins and let is sit — overnight.

Doggone it! I think I’ve ruined the coins. They’ll still spend, at least I think they will, but the three-cent value of the wheat backs is probably gone.

“Peg, why didn’t you Google it first?” you wanna know.

I know, right! I should’ve.

>>>*<<<

We had a pretty sunrise this week. I didn’t know how pretty it was going to be when I first started taking pictures so let’s do a study in Tuesday morning’s sunrise, shall we?

I grabbed both my cameras and took pictures from the kitchen patio.

Then the sun started to peek above the horizon and the sunrise became more beautiful. It’s generally not a good idea to take pictures of the sun but because it’s clocked … er cloaked in morning clouds, I took a chance. The difference a letter makes!

Something I’ve discovered is I also like the view from the other side of the house, so I hurried and took pictures from that vantage point too.

As I zoomed in on the sun the camera picked up more of the colors.

>>>*<<<

I’ve been reading the series Earth’s Children by Jean M. Auel. I read the first three books and thought I was getting the fourth one, The Land of Painted Caves. It wasn’t until I’d gone looking for the fifth book that I realized what I’d done. I skipped two whole books! I never checked to see which one was next, I just assumed they came up in order on my online library. Assumptions get me every time!

When book three left off, Jondalar and Ayla were just starting a year-long journey to Jondalar’s home and people. I just assumed there wasn’t any story in that journey and that’s how I justified the jump in time in my head. Then, when the author referenced a fact from a previous book, I just thought it was a clarification, not that I’d missed a book — or two! Luckily the book stood on its own.

 I took a break from the series when Little Fires Everywhere appeared on my shelf with a note that it was available for me to borrow. I jumped right on that! I’ve been waiting since April of 2020 to get the book. My place in line was 1,428 and they had 43 copies.

It takes me an embarrassing long time to read a book. As an example, I had to renew The Land of Painted Caves five times. I finished it a week before my last two-week loan was due. That means it took me about nine weeks to read it.

Sigh.

“What’s the problem, Peg?” you wanna know.

My eyes get tired. I don’t know if it’s my age or the electronic device I read on but it doesn’t seem like I can read long before they’re too tired. Sometimes, if it’s a really exciting part in the story, I can push it and endure, using eye drops or stopping to rub my eyes every so often.

“I’ve gotta finish this book before my time’s up,” I told Mike. “I’ll never get it back again!” More than 900 people were still waiting for it.

I started reading it Monday evening during my recliner time. Mike was watching Trails of Wells Fargo and I can mostly tune that out.

I finished reading it Wednesday. Needless to say, I spent a good part of Tuesday and Wednesday reading and not much else. It was an easy read — a page turner and I really enjoyed it. It a refreshing change from the caveman series. I really liked how Celeste Ng wove the whole, complicated story together.

And I’m not the only one who liked it either. Hulu has made this book into a miniseries.

Now I’m back to the real fourth book in the Jean M. Auel series.

>>>*<<<

After spending two days doing nothing extra but reading, I found myself in a lull. I’ve got a couple of projects on my glass table and about a million more rattlin’ around in my head, but I couldn’t quite seem to get motivated.

I need a game to play on my computer, I thought. When I checked what came with the computer, I wasn’t happy. Klondike Solitaire or Candy Crush Friends.  

Then I remembered that I had Jewel Quest on CDs. My cute little red-haired sister got me addicted to this game by giving me the first disc. I’m responsible for buying Jewel Quest II and Jewel Quest III on my own. As a matter of fact, I completed all but the last level on the third one. It’s been years since I’ve played this game, I figured it’d be new again. And I was right. I can waste a lot of time playing this game. 

>>>*<<<

We did go shopping one day this week.

“Maybe something exciting will happen when we’re out,” I told Miss Rosie, but nothing exciting did.

For one thing, it was raining, sprinkle-schmitting.

Now there’s a handy word. Schmitt. Mike’s dad used to use it as in, “Hand me that measure-schmitt, kid!” Now it often finds its way onto the end of lots of words during our conversations. It’s very versatile.

I took a picture of the rain-speckled windshield. “Now I can tell them the reason they don’t get any road pictures is because it was raining,” I told Mike. I thought the truck would give it more interest.

I tried really hard to capture the beauty of our fog-shrouded mountains. I don’t have the knowledge or the equipment or the know-how to do them justice.

How about a short study in mountain mist?





“Mom! Where’s all the traffic!?” that handsome son of ours asks.

          I know, right! Where we used to live in Lake Ozark, Missouri, you couldn’t go anyplace without a ton of traffic. It’s a little different here. Lots of times there won’t be a car in front of us or behind us for as far as we can see.

          Our shopping trip only took us to Tunkhannock and McDonald’s for lunch was our first stop. Talk about beautiful houses! Tunkhannock has a lot of beautiful old historic houses! Some day we’ll do a study on those, but here’s a taste.

          One of the many things I picked up on our shopping trip was goodies for our grandson Andrew’s Valentine box. We live so far away now that the only way we have to show our love is to send him a goodie box from time to time.

          There aren’t any toys I can buy and stuff into a flat rate box that he would want or need so I stick to treats, solar-powered dancing characters, and craft projects.

          I end up sending him a lot of these little plastic paintable suncatchers. After he paints them, he can hang them up and enjoy them for a long time.

          This time, instead of getting him the tiny little tubs of paint, I went for the more professional tubes. Then I picked up a pack of three canvas boards for him to create his own original works of art.

          I packed the box and let it sit on the counter that night. I was watching TV with Mike when I remembered I’d forgotten to include the plastic paint palette that came with my glass paint and I’ll never use. Not only that, I’d forgotten to put in the suction cup hooks to hang his suncatchers from too! I got up and got the palette from the back of the counter where I’d stowed it and put it on top of his box. I’d have to open it back up and find room, but I’d do it. Then I went out to my shop and found the open box of dust-covered, cobwebby (but new) suction cup hooks. I washed the hooks and put ‘em in the drainer to dry. The next morning, I opened the box, repacked it, and went off to the post office to mail it. After I got home and emptied the dish drainer, guess what I found.

          Yeah. You know what I found.

          The suction cups I’d meant to include.

          Sigh!

          I guess I’m getting old and forgetful.

          I’ll have another box to send before long, I’ll put them in there. Until then, Andrew can hang his suncatchers from a string and bent paper clip — or just a string.

          Some of Andrew’s snacks I get at Aldi’s. We really like a lot of the Aldi’s brands and we especially like Aldi’s pricing. We do the majority of our shopping at that store.

          “How did we ever get by without Aldi’s?” Mike asked another couple in the same aisle as us.

          “I don’t know. We love Aldi’s,” the Mrs. said.

          “I know. We had to go to Dickson City,” I chimed in.

          “Or Sayre,” Mike reminded me.

          “Do you know what we really like that we always buy here?” Mrs. asked.

          “What?” I wanted to know.

          “Chocolate bars. He loves dark chocolate,” she said indicating her husband, “and these are made in Europe so the chocolate is really good — not bitter at all. You can get it with either almonds or hazelnuts.”

          Mike loves dark chocolate too. “We’re gonna try ‘em! Where’re they at?” I asked.

          She started to tell us but Mr. interrupted. “NO! Don’t tell them! They might buy ‘em all!”

          And everyone laughed.

          We found the chocolates right where she directed and I picked up one with almonds (I don’t care for hazelnuts). They’re made in Austria and UTZ certified.

          “What’s that?” you wanna know.

          I know, right! I wanted to know too! So I looked it up for us.

          UTZ is a certification program for sustainable farming of coffee, tea, cocoa, and hazelnuts. The program is part of the Rainforest Alliance, an international non-profit organization working to create a better future for people and nature.

          We weren’t in the car long before I had that baby opened and broke off a bite. “She’s right. It’s not bitter. But it’s still chocolate.” I’m not much of a chocolate lover or even liker for that matter.

          “Would you buy it again?” I asked Mike.

          “No.”

          “Why not?” I suspected the answer before he said it.

          “I don’t wanna eat that kinda stuff.”

          “If you were eating chocolate and buying chocolate, would you buy it again?”

          “Maybe.”

          “Is it better than other chocolates?” And that’s the nitty-gritty of it.

          “Not necessarily.”

          When you’re a chocolate lover, even bad chocolate is good chocolate.

>>>*<<<

          Look at these two pictures, would ya!

          “What about them?” you ask.

          These are pictures of shots I missed.

          Smudge climbed up on top of the ladder and sat there as pretty as you please. I went for the camera and when I came back, he was gone.

          And the other one is a missed shot of Tiger. He got on the very end of the crown molding and laid down. Again, I went for the camera but he was gone when I got back.

          And there’s another shot I missed too.

          I missed a shot of a pair of hawks circling over the house. I had my camera with me but not the long lens. I took a couple of shots of one of the hawks but knew he was much too far away, then ran for the long lens. Alas! They’d moved on by the time I got back outside.

          Since I was already out with my big lens, I decided to take pictures of the melting snow coming off the roof through the downspout.

          It falls into a trashcan-turned-rainwater collector.

          Isn’t it interesting how the ice pushes up from the bottom?

          The dripping water has melted a hole in the ice in the bucket.

          Heading back in I thought I’d see if I could get pictures of drops falling from the end of icicles.

          My first few shots were duds. My camera wanted to focus on the trees in the background and not the icicles in the front.

I turned off auto focus and caught the next few shots manually.

          Our final study is a study in the formation and drip of a drop of water. The refection in the droplet is the tree line behind it.




          For all of my missed shots, someone who was still there when I went back out with a camera was this guy.  Ol’ Mr. Woolly Bear was right smack-dab in the middle of a frozen tundra.

          Okay! Okay! So it was in my backyard, but what the heck is he doing out this time of year! He’s supposed to be hibernating!

          I took his picture and walked away. Then I felt bad. The least I could do was help the poor critter out! He was halfway between the tree line and the stone pile heading towards the stone pile. I picked him up and gave him a ride the rest of the way. I hope that’s where he wanted to go. 

>>>*<<<

           Surfaces that had been previously covered and now exposed became a playground for these two guys. I’ve seen Tiger under the butchers block many times in the past two weeks and this time he was able to get Spitfire to play with him. I don’t even care they knocked the water dish and sloshed water all over the floor.


           Now, I just want to point out a couple of things here. I used the flash when I took the picture and that brings out all the specks of dust I missed.

          “Specks!” you exclaim.

          Shhh. Let me have my illusions.

          And the other thing I want to point out is I can’t recreate the photo. So, you’ll just have to look at my dust.

          Speaking of dust…

          Mike was concerned about the health of my lungs, especially when the physician’s assistant said dust could aggravate and worsen my cough.

          Mike was so concerned that he bought a house air purifier.

          The Nuwave OxyPure will take care of 1,200 square feet, pulls air from all four sides, has a five-stage filter system, and eliminates 99.99% of odors and bacteria.  

          “Yeah, but Peg, they want to sell you one,” you say.

          I know, right. Mike did research it and check online reviews before he bought it. Now that it’s in the house, I have to tell ya, I think it works.

          We’ve got seven litter boxes in the house. The air purifier is in the living room, just outside the bedroom door. I can scoop the box in the closet, the one in the bedroom, walk past the air purifier and be working on the one at the far end of the kitchen and the purifier kicks on. It knows when I’m doing litter boxes.

          It came with extra filters but I don’t know how long it’ll be until we have to change it. The unit will tell us.

          “How are you doing?” you wanna know.

          My lungs don’t hurt anymore. I still have a cough but it’s not as bad as it was. Thanks for asking.

          Until next time, remember, you're all in my heart.

           Let's call this one done!







No comments:

Post a Comment