Sunday, November 15, 2020

Lines

           Our weather has been nice enough that we’ve had our morning visits with the Kipps on the kitchen patio. Our presence did little to discourage the birds from hitting the yummy sunflower seeds in the feeder. The little Chickadees are the bravest but even the Tufted Titmouse came in.

          The Chickadee is sitting on a grapevine. I salvaged a bunch from an old grapevine that Mike cut down. It was my intention to weave it into a wreath but I never found the time to work on it.

          The Titmouse is sitting on the root we screwed to the post under the feeder as a landing for them.

          I really like how these things make the birds look like they’re in a more natural setting than sitting on the birdfeeders.

          Speaking of birds in natural settings…

          I spotted a hawk!

          He’s in the top of the tree in the center of the picture. By the time I realized it was indeed a hawk, I didn’t have time to switch cameras or to even zoom in. Such is the woes of highway driving.


           And speaking of highway driving…

          This week we made a few forays into the wilds of our COVID infected world. Our county has had increasingly record setting number of cases for five days in a row now. Thus, we’ve been staying home as much as possible. But the need to eat and care for our pets has driven us to brave it.

          “What’s going on?” I know you wanna know.

          Itsy isn’t much better. She continues to cry a lot! She’s been on an antibiotic and pain meds for a week now so I’m wondering if the problem isn’t itching of the rash on her back and belly. I’ve added Children’s Benadryl to the meds she’s already taking but I worry about over-medicating her. Case in point, I gave her some Benadryl before breakfast on Saturday morning. I was at the computer and something made me turn around and look. Itsy was laying on her side with a pile of vomit beside her.

Oh no! I silently cried. I’ve killed my dog!

I jumped up and picked her up but she seems fine. She puked up a belly full of green bile, which happens sometimes if she doesn’t eat. I’m guessing she lost her balance, fell over, and I got to her before she had a chance to recover.

I’ve only been giving her Benadryl for a couple days and so far, I haven’t seen any improvement. I don’t know what we’re going to do about her.

          In the meantime, Macchiato, our seven-year-old tabby, has been yowling a lot too. Then when I found someone peed on some towels left laying on the floor; I suspected it was him.

          “Maybe we should have him checked for a urinary tract infection,” I suggested to Mike.

          I kenneled Macchiato twice trying to get a urine sample to take to the vet. The first time he peed on the bed I had in there and laid in the litterbox. The second time he wouldn’t pee at all despite being in there most of the day. I let him out in the late afternoon. The vet likes the sample to be fresh so getting one and having it sit overnight wasn’t an option. What was an option was to day-kennel him at the vet’s office and let them get a sample.

          Macchiato. Poor guy. He cried the whole way over to Towanda and puked in my lap. Luckily, I suspected something might happen so I was prepared with a puppy pad and didn’t get any on me.

          He had to be there by 9 a.m. and there was still fog in the valleys.

          Another picture I took that morning. A lot of yard art going on here.


          Dr. Lori called in the afternoon. “Macchiato’s urine is totally unremarkable,” she said. “There’s no sign of any infection. But he is blind or sees very little and this could be the cause of his vocalizing. It could also be the cause of his urinating around the house. Maybe you could add another litter box?” she suggested.  

          I didn’t address her ‘add a litter box’ comment because I already have 6 boxes in the house and one on the patio. “We’ve suspected he was blind,” I told her. “He runs into the door sometimes and doesn’t see when I put treats on the floor in front of him.”

          “My concern is what might have caused his blindness.” She mentioned some of the things that could cause it, none of which I remember. “Do you want me to send a blood sample out?”

          “No. We’ll deal with whatever happens when it happens.” And that’s probably why I wasn’t paying attention to causes.

          “He can go home so you can come and get him anytime,” Dr. Lori finished.

          On our way, heading down our mountain, I see a dead critter laying beside the road. I always take note of what’s been killed. I know, I’m weird. It had a white body, black tail, black ear tips. I’d just been reading in the book The Mammoth Hunters how Ayla was hunting the white winter ermine for its fur and it was described as having a black tail and black ear tips.

          “Is that a mink?” I asked.

          Don’t laugh. Without actually thinking things through, my mouth spit out the first critter that came to mind, which, in this case was mink because we’d just seen it on the news. Plus, I knew there’d been a mink farm someplace roundabouts. Momma pointed it out to me once. “It stunk to the high heavens,” she said scowling with the memory.

          “I hope not,” Mike answered. “They carry COVID.”

          We get closer and I could see it was someone’s cat. “Awww. Someone’s gonna be sad,” is what I always say. I’ll spare you the picture.

          And, just an FYI, ermine don’t have black-tipped ears. I referred back to the passage in the book and it said it was white from its black tipped tail to the tip of its black nose.  

          Macchiato has spent every afternoon on the patio all summer long. 

         Now that the weather is starting to cool off, I don’t know where he’ll spend his days. One thing I do know for sure though, is I hope it’s not prowling around the house yowling all day — which is what he’s doing now because it’s too cool on the patio for him!

>>>*<<<

          Mike has been working on the pond. He’s gotten quite good at working all the levers that operate the backhoe.

          “Peg, we’ve got rain coming in. Would you help me get the tractor in the barn?” he asked.

          Much to my chagrin I have to admit that I was feeling a little put-upon. “Really, Michael! Like what! You want me to watch you put the tractor in the barn?”

          He wanted me to come along so he wasn’t mad that I was being snarky.

          “Well, the bucket’s full of mud that won’t come out so I have to dig that out first. But I thought we could take the golf cart down and you could bring it back.”

          “Okay,” I agreed. “I can get pictures of you digging the mud out.”

          We stopped by the barn and got the shovel and when we got to the pond, Mike got on the tractor. He tried dunking and swishing the bucket to dislodge the mud but it didn’t work. 

         He swung the arm in and I decided that rather than make him climb off the tractor and back on, which is the hardest part for him, I’d try to help. I grabbed the shovel and waited. When he saw it was my intention to help, he positioned the bucket to make it easier for me. Then I went to work picking and hacking and prying until I got all the mud out.

          Mike raised the stabilizers and the tractor headed for the water. He put the bucket down to stop the rolling and reset the stabilizers. Repositioned the bucket, lifted the stabilizers and the tractor started rolling towards the water again. I thought for sure he was going to end up in the drink. But he managed to get it stopped and using the backhoe bucket, pushed himself to firmer ground.

          The stabilizer pads had a ton of mud on them. I knew Mike wouldn’t want all that mud in the barn. While he made his way from the backhoe-operating seat into the tractor seat, I knocked the mud from the pads. Mike saw me. First, I did the one on my side, then I walked behind the tractor, under the backhoe arm, and cleaned the other one off.

          Mike yelled something at me. I couldn’t hear him over the tractor.

          Mike headed for the barn and I crossed behind him to get to the golf cart. I looked up. I don’t know what made me look up and not at the muddy, rutted ground I was picking my way across, but I looked up — and the tractor was coming right at me!

          I couple of quick steps and I was out of the way.

          “WHAT ARE YA DOIN’!” I yelled.

          “I’M GONNA DIG SA’MORE!” he yelled back.

          “I’M GOIN’ HOME!”

          “OKAY, WAIT A MINUTE!”

          Mike shifted his position on the seat and headed for the barn. I followed on the golf cart. Not far out of the pond area is a small hill. Mike stopped and the tractor started drifting back — and I was too close.

          He’s gonna kill me yet! I thought, gunned the golf cart, and got out of the way.

          Once the tractor was parked in the barn and we could talk, I told Mike what happened.

          “You tried to kill me! Not once but twice!”

          “What!”

          “I was walking behind the tractor and you were backing up.”

          “I told you to stay out of the way; that I was going to back up.”

          “I couldn’t hear you over the tractor and I didn’t think I needed to. I thought I knew what we were doing. You said we were putting the tractor in the barn. Besides, don’t you look when you back up?”

          “No. It’s too hard to turn around in that seat so I only do it when I’m getting close to where I want to be.”

          I never asked why he stopped on the hill but I suspect he was trying to put the tractor in a different gear for the ride to the barn.

          And it’s that easy, folks. It’s just that easy to die in a stupid accident. That’s why you can’t wait until the last-minute, thinking you’ll live your life the way you want to and — just in case there’s really a heaven and hell — use the loophole of coming to Jesus on your deathbed. You may not get that chance.

          The rain came in. It rained all day. A nice soaking rain. Itsy’s not a big fan of rain and would rather do her business in the house then to get wet.

There was plenty of grass under the awning before we laid the patio stones, so she never used to get wet.

“I cover Yodi with my umbrella when I take her out in the rain,” that beautiful West Virginia friend of mine said of her Chinese Crested.

With that in mind, I took the umbrella with us every time she wanted to go out and managed to keep her covered as she walked around the yard.

I propped the umbrella up on the feral cat house to dry and Tiger was curious about what it was. He sat under it for a couple of hours. He loves to be outside and spends a lot of time out.

In my picture of him and Mr. Mister, they’re both watching something but I don’t know what. I didn’t see anything.

>>>*<<<

I was at my computer one morning, and hadn’t yet had breakfast. We eat Cheerios most mornings but this morning I was in the mood for something different.

Eggs à la Goldenrod popped into my head. I haven’t made them in a while and a plate of them sounded good to me. I dug out my Fannie Farmer cookbook and it just about fell open to the right page. These are easy to make and oh so yummy. The only change I made was to put it over cut up English Muffins rather than the diagonally sliced toast it called for but that’s strictly presentation.

The recipe is for two but Mike already had breakfast — and I like the white sauce anyway so it didn’t break my heart. In my mind’s eye I could just see me fighting to keep all that yummy sauce on the plate.  A bowl would work just fine, I thought. Then I took a picture of it to make y’all just a little bit jelly.

I wondered if I could tempt Mike. I took my bowl in to where he sat in his recliner watching the morning news.

“Wanna bite?” I offered him the bowl.

“I already had breakfast,” he said, eyeing the bowl.

“That was hours ago.” I was trying to make it easy for him to accept my offer of a bite.

“What is it?” Mike reached for the bowl.

“Eggs à la Goldenrod. They’re yummy.”

He took a bite. “YUCK!” he said but didn’t give the fork back. He scooped up a second bite.

“Really?” I questioned. “Yuck?”

He smiled and shook his head, relinquishing the fork as he chewed. I took a bite and offered it back to him.

“I don’t want to eat all your breakfast,” he said taking another bite.

I shrugged. “I can make more if I want it.”

That was earlier in the week. Guess who’s been dreaming about Eggs à la Goldenrod?

“You?” you say.

Yeah, me. But Mike too!

“Sunday morning I’ll make it for your breakfast,” I promised.

And I did!

>>>*<<<

Mike and I really enjoy grilled chicken. He’ll take a breast and slice it thin before grilling it. One whole breast will make several meals for us.

“With the spike in COVID cases and the looming shutdown,” Mike started, “we should find a deal on chicken and get a forty-pound box.”

I dug out the recent store ads and discovered the market in Dushore was running a sale on chicken breast. “One-eighty-nine a pound,” I read.

“Is that good?” he wanted to know.

“I don’t know.” When we want chicken breast, we buy chicken breast and seldom pay attention to price.

Mike called our local grocery and asked how much chicken breast was. Two-eighty-nine a pound came the answer.

We got in the car and headed for Dushore. I only took this one picture. The ladder would be easy to miss if you weren’t looking for it. Deer season is in. Maybe that’s where he’s going to hang his deer if he gets one.

Remember the rule?

Spend fifteen seconds looking at a photo and you’ll find something to like.

At the market, Mike asked about getting a box of chicken.

“I’ll get the butcher for you,” the gal behind the meat counter said.

“Yeah, I can get you a box. I’ll have it for you tomorrow,” Chris said.

We bought a pork roast and a few other things then headed for the Jeep.

“We could go on into Tunkhannock and check out the new Aldi’s store,” I suggested. A brand-new store opened eleven days ago. “And Walmart is right across the road.”

          “What do you need from Walmart?” Mike asked.

          “We could look for new sheets for our bed.” I rotate our four sets of sheets and yet we recently wore one out and another is on its way out. The edges frayed and the center so thin it was starting to rip. Besides, someone (who shall remain nameless) volunteered to make a couple of face masks for Dr. Lori and wanted to look for cute animal pattern material.

          “We’ve got meat in the car. We can run past the house and drop that off first,” Mike reminded me.

          “I’ve got the cooler bags,” I reminded him. “I’ll put the meat in that and it’ll be okay. Then we can just go up Route 87 and go to Tunkhannock that way.”

          Mike halted on his way out of the parking lot and pulled over. I put the pork roast in the cooler bag and YAY! New road pictures! This is a road I’ve only been on once or twice and Mike doesn’t think he’s ever been on.














          And this picture right here, the last I’m going to show you before we got into Tunkhannock, is the reason for the title of this week’s letter blog.

          While going through my photos I noticed a lot had lines in them. Power lines, phone lines, cable lines. Whatever they are, they ‘ruin’ a lot of my photos. Sometimes I can crop them out, sometimes I can ‘erase’ them, sometimes I can’t, and sometimes I don't try.

          The new Aldi’s store is nice, as you may well expect. We bought some of the items that we use most frequently. Eggs, cottage cheese, cereal, frozen pizza, oyster crackers. I was surprised they had canned red beets. The other two Aldi’s that we shop at had stopped carrying them. I guess there wasn’t enough demand. I picked up a case of those.

          At the checkout, we chatted with the cashier.

          “Have you been busy?” I asked. There were a lot of shoppers in the store but it wasn’t too bad.

          “Oh yeah! We’ve been slammed since we opened.”

“I bet Walmart hates seeing this right across the road from them,” Mike said.

“Oh! Too bad!” she said sarcastically. “I worked as a manager over there for seven years and I quit to come here.”

Aldi’s hires at nineteen dollars an hour.

Our next stop was right across the road at Walmart. We grabbed a cart and headed in. “You want to check out electronics while I go through the sewing section?” I asked.

“That’s right. You need thread,” he reminded me, and it’s a good thing he did too. I’d forgotten I needed that.

We didn’t find any sheets we wanted but managed to spend money anyway.

Fat Quarters, I told you, were ninety-seven cents. Yeah. That’s what I said. But guess what? They start at ninety-seven cents. The ones I liked were a dollar forty-seven.

          The road home is a road we’ve traveled many times. I only took the hawk picture and this one of the cows laying down. See that long-legged cow standing up in the back there? That’s what Mike jokingly calls them.

          Saturday, early after-morning, Chris, the butcher, called. “Your box of chicken is ready.”

          “Great! We’ll be right there to get it,” I told him.

          We picked up the chicken and were delighted to find that he was able to do even better on the price. We got it for one sixty-seven a pound, twenty cents a pound less than we expected. We thanked him, paid, and headed for home, traveling another road we don’t travel quite as often.

          “Did you see that?” Mike asked.

          “See what?” I didn’t know if we saw the same thing or not.

          “On this side of the road.”

          That clarified it some. At least then I knew I hadn’t seen it. “I guess not. I was looking at the turkeys out in the field on my side.” By the time I spotted them I didn’t have time to switch cameras.

          “You’ve got to see this,” he said and looked for place to turn around. He chose this driveway because you could see well in both directions and I got a picture of the barn.

          “Good. It’ll give me another chance at the turkeys,” I said.

          “Now, it’s right up here. Are you ready for this firetruck?”

          “It’s a firetruck?” I wondered what made this firetruck special enough for Mike to turn around for.

          And there it is. A big huge endorsement for our current president — and a dead deer, which I didn’t even see until I looked at the picture on my ‘puter.

          And I did get another chance at the turkeys with the other camera. Too bad it was a wasted chance. If you didn’t know these were turkeys, you probably couldn’t tell from this picture. But in my defense, they were pretty far away.

          On down the road we go and pass a farm that has goats. One of the goats was climbing a steep rocky bank and using a tree to aid him.

          “I should’ve gotten that picture,” I bemoaned the missed shot. “You could turn around for me.”

          Normally Mike is pretty good about this but today he wasn’t much in the mood to put up with my shenanigans.

          “Nah.”

          I was incredulous. “Wait a minute! You’d turn around to show me a Trump sign but won’t turn around for a cute goat picture?”

          He frowned. Faced with that argument, how could he refuse? The driveway he chose this time only got me a picture of the dried and nodding heads of five sunflower plants.

          This time Mike didn’t waste time looking for a second turn-around place. He pulled right in the driveway of the goat owners. The shot I wanted was gone but I still took pictures of these cutie-patooties.

            Just past Turrels Corners we pass a car with something on its roof. I watched as it got closer and realized it was just a canoe rack for two canoes.

          “Did you see that?” Mike asked.

          “The canoe rack? Yeah, I saw it.”

          “No. That lady in the car was doing this.” Imitating her, his eyes got real big, his mouth dropped open, he let go of the steering wheel long enough to franticly wave his arms back and forth.

          “Nope. I didn’t see that.”

          A short ways up the road, this tanker is stopped right in the travel lane. “I guess we know why she was waving at you now.”

          The guy on the opposite side of the road cleared us to pass but Mike didn’t see him. “He’s waving us through,” I told him.

          As we pass, I see a pair of legs sticking out from under the truck.

           “He picked a good spot to break down,” I said.

          Remembering his truck driving days, Mike says, “There’s never a good place to break down.”

          “No. Not for him. For us drivers. You can see him in plenty of time to stop from both directions.”

          As soon as we got the chicken in the house, we set up an assembly line and went to work getting it freezer ready.

          “If we’re going to keep doing this maybe we should invest in a vacuum sealer,” I said. That didn’t help right now.

We opened our box and pulled a breast out.

“Wow!” I said. “These are huge!”

I wrapped a whole breast in plastic wrap, getting as much air out as I could, then passed it to Mike who wrapped it in freezer paper and dated it. We ended up with fifteen packages of chicken breast. Our box was forty pounds, divided by fifteen packages, equals 2.66 pounds each, more or less.

Let COVID come. We are ready!

>>>*<<<

In the summer. I get sunset pictures. In the winter my sunset view has moved behind the trees so I’m more apt to get sunrise pictures.

The other night I looked out while I washed evening dishes and see a sunset sky that would rival most sunrises. I grabbed my camera and went out.

I wonder what the western sky looks like, I thought and walked around the end of the mill. Here’s a shot you’ve not seen often. This is looking up towards the upper barn.

         Sunday morning, we were blessed with a fabulous sunrise. I was inspired to look for a different angle and decided to walk down our little dirt road to see if I could capture the Robinsons' barn in the sunrise. 

        The colors my camera picks up depends on where my focus is.

           And these two? At first blush they may seem the same but the sky is so different I just had to show you both of them.


           With that, let’s call this one done!


No comments:

Post a Comment