Sunday, December 9, 2018

Smudge

          This week has been quiet here in the Luby household. The weather's cold, the pantry's stocked, and there isn't much reason to go out.
          Except for the frost. We had a heavy frost again and I needed something to take pictures of, so I went out.
          The frost makes this plant look like it's got thistles.


          I was up on the hill taking pictures when I see this guy come around the corner. Yeah, it's Smudge. He decided to go on my walkabout with me.


          Next stop was the Virgin's Bower with its mop tops. I stood there quite a while taking pictures...


...trying to find an interesting angle.


          And spotted these little winter flowers next to them.


          Next to them was the Bittersweet.


          Once again, I spent quite a bit of time looking for interesting shots and as you can see, only had mild success at that. There isn't anything wrong with these pictures, there just isn't anything new about them.


          Despite having spent so much time in one spot taking pictures of the Virgin's Bower and Bittersweet, I turned around and there was Smudge, waiting for me.
          He's more faithful than a dog, I thought.


          I came to the deer path that crosses over to the little lane leading to the hunter's cabin. With the ground frozen, and my mud boots on, I wasn't afraid to cross here this time.


          I turned around and who do I see?
          Yep. Smudge. That's our red barn in the background.


          It wasn't far down the lane to the Winterberries.


          Rather than go back up to where I'd crossed over, I found another place and crossed back to our yard.
          Smudge trotted happily after me, stopping to leave his scent on a clump of frozen mud.


          Moss.


          Next stop on my walkabout was the pond. Smudge didn't even stop to test the ice, he just went right out on it.


          Me? I was trying to get a shot of the ice trees growing up out of it.


           As I walk around the pond, I noticed patterns frozen in the ice.


          How were they formed? I wondered. 


           What caused them?


          On around the pond I go.
          Smudge took the shortcut and came straight across, meeting me at the cattails.


          Something made me look up and there were two jet planes getting ready to cross paths. I hadn't heard them so I don't know why I looked up but by the time I got my lens zoomed out, I'd missed the shot I thought I wanted.


          I head back to the house and spy a big old hornets' nest, one you wouldn't see in the summer — one I hadn't seen.


          My thistle feeder has been out for a couple of weeks now and Saturday was the first I'd seen any birds on it. This is a Goldfinch and a Junco. I can watch the birds from my kitchen window. 


           Smudge watched from the stump under the kitchen awning.


          We have a new cat coming around. I've seen it several times now. He's found the cat food I was putting out for the birds and I've seen him once on the kitchen patio eating the leftover cat food there.


          I don't know where he came from but I'll not deny him a bite to eat.


          Christmas is coming. I'm glad. It gives me a new purpose. A reason to make pretty things. So far this week I've repaired my sister's snowman, 


...made a Christmas tree with a Santa hat...


... a blue bird with a Santa hat...


...and a Santa with a Santa hat.


          Plus I made one more but I can't show it to you. It's a gift for someone and I don't want to ruin the surprise.
          I enjoy my time when I'm making things, whether I'm making suncatchers or writing my letter blog or even just baking. It doesn't matter what I'm doing as long as I have a purpose.
          Speaking of purpose, our local news station broadcast a story about this WWII veteran who isn't looking forward to his birthday. He'll be 96 on the 30th of December and only has one wish; he'd like to receive birthday cards from all over. We're from all over, you and I are, so what do you say, want to send him a card? I will. And don't forget to thank him for his service to our country. He's a Purple Heart recipient and was aboard the USS Lamson when it was hit by a kamikaze pilot. Thirty of his shipmates lost their lives and Duane still has shrapnel in his back.



          We had a golden sunrise Saturday morning, I'll leave you with that.


          Let's call this one done!


No comments:

Post a Comment