Monday, May 8, 2017

And Now It's May

         Oh my gosh! The days and weeks are just flying by me and now it's May!
         I have been spending much of my time either helping Mike or working in my glass shop, although work may be a rather strong word, it's more like play for me.
         I caught up on soldering the glass I already had cut and foiled. I took them out in the sunshine and hung them on the fence. Except for the butterfly. I hadn't had that one done until later.   


  
         You may remember that I am trying to build an inventory for the car show in Wyalusing on June 11th. The car show is for only three hours so I don't think I'll need to have a lot of anything. I thought I'd make no more than four of most things and I thought I would make things I could sell fairly cheaply, keeping my prices in the seven to fifteen dollar range.
         Then I had a panic attack — sort of. I realized that Miss Rosie, our friend and neighbor — I love the Kipp's! — is having a birthday on Sunday! So Friday I went through my patterns. I know Rosie's windows are full-up with pretties already so I thought something that sat by itself might just do the trick. I found a cute cat candleholder and picked the colors I thought would best represent the colors of two of their cats. Mama Cat is a dark calico and Flannel is gray.
         "What do you think?" I asked the Kipp girls, and I got pretty much the same answer from both of them.
         "Totes adorbs," Jenn said. "And closer than they'll ever get in real life, LOL."
         "What does that mean?" I hear Momma ask.
         Well, "totes adorbs" is an abbreviation of 'totally adorable'. It's used when one sees something that causes squealing, clapping, and overall giddiness due to something being of extreme cuteness and/or adorableness. That is the definition from the Urban Dictionary. And I guess Mama cat and Flannel do not get along and barely tolerate being in the same room together, let alone snuggle.
         "That is ADORABLE!!" Marla wrote me. "She will like it, for sure. Re: the candle, though, she won't actually burn a candle. Dad developed a bit of a phobia about them that she used to ignore...until one day (years ago) that she left one burning and forgot about it and then she decided it wasn't worth burning them when she might actually burn the house down because she'd forget (or the cat would knock it over, even). They make battery-operated tealights (where it looks like a flame but it's just a little lightbulb), so she can get one of those. Tell her you intend for a candle to go behind it and shine through, but that a little birdie told you she wouldn't use that. She might even be able to put it in the big living room window where natural light would come through it at certain times of day."
         I gave Rosie her gift at church this morning, in a fancy brown lunch bag for the wrapping. Yeah, it wasn't fancy, it was plain.
         "It's the thought that counts, right Rosie?" I made my apology when I handed it over.
         She nodded. "It's alright," and I could tell she really meant it.
         Then I handed her a birthday card and she opened that first. It had a little bird and purple violets on it.
         "A chickadee. My favorite bird," Rosie said. She opened the card and read her birthday wishes on the inside. "Thank you," she said, closed the card and put it aside. She unrolled the top of the lunch bag and peered down inside. Her eyes got real big when she saw Mama cat and Flannel smiling up at her. "Oh," she said and reached inside to pull it out. "Oh, I love it!" she exclaimed turning it over in her hands. 


         "Ah, Rosie. It makes my heart go pitter-patter to hear you say that," I told her and fluttered my hand over my heart.
         "It makes my heart go pitter-patter to receive it. It's for a candle, right? A little tealight?"
         "Yes, but a little birdie told me you won't burn candles anymore."
         "Do you know why?" Rosie asked and quickly went on. "Trouble and I went for one of our five mile walks and when we got home hours and hours later, it was still burning."
         "I didn't know that," and visions of the tabletop being on fire when she walked in the door filled my head but Rosie held her hand up, answering before I could ask.
         "It was alright, but it really scared me."
         "It would me too!" I agreed.
         "Lamar got me one of those little battery operated tealights, I can use that in here."
         And Rosie gave me an extra special hug.

<<<<<<>>>> 

         I picked out over 50 pictures to show you this week and I've shown you three so far, shall we get on with it?
         Our apple tree has blossoms!


         I showed you this one last week and this week I know what it is! It's Purple Dead Nettle. Some people confuse this with Henbit but I knew it wasn't Henbit. It's 'dead nettle' because it doesn't sting.


         Both the Henbit and Purple Dead Nettle are edible. (Yes, I know I spelled it wrong like four times last week. Dang that spell check!) These wildflowers are high in iron, vitamins, and fiber, and the seeds of the Purple Dead Nettle have antioxidants.
>>>>><<<<< 

         Mike and I were coming back on the golf cart and as we passed the bedroom window, Spitfire appeared in the window. He must have been napping on the bed and got up when he heard us.
         "Aww, that's so cute," I said to Mike.
         "What is?"
         "Spitfire in the window."
         Mike didn't see him so he made a u-ey and went back so I could get a picture. 


Mike reached out and Spitfire reached forward too, stopping when his nose hit the window.



<<<<<>>>>> 

         Oh! My! Gosh! Did I ever have a scare! Mike is afraid of snakes, although he didn't use to be. He laughs because his father was afraid of snakes and Mike, being the teaser he is, used to catch garder snakes when he was a kid, and show them to his dad. "He would get so mad!" Mike told me, smiling at the memory. "He'd say," and here Mike would switch to his father's voice. "Get that thing away from me!"
         Mike was quiet for a moment. "Now when I see a snake I dream about'em."
         Mike once saw something on either the TV or internet of a snake coming up a toilet. Now he never pees without turning the light on and checking the toilet for snakes when he lifts the lid. Me? I don't have that particular phobia and never turn the light on if I get up in the night to pee. We do have a night light in there though.
         I wasn't even thinking about critters in the toilet when I lifted the lid one day and found one in there. I jerked my hand back so fast! I bet you never saw an old woman move as fast as I did that day! After the shock wore off I thought, Is that a walking stick? Slowly I leaned forward and realized it wasn't a critter at all, it was a piece of dried grass.


         "How did it get there?" you wonder.
         I wondered the same thing.
         "I found it on the floor and threw it in there thinking it would go down the next time I flushed it," Mike said. "Sorry." He was apologizing for scaring me.

>>>>><<<<< 

         Our trash bill came in the mail as it always does at the beginning of the month. Rather than spend 49 cents and mail it back, we used it as an excuse to have breakfast out. "We could drop off the recyclables at the same time," we justified.
         I hardly ever turn down an excuse for a ride-about. I'll take pictures and one of the things I tend to photograph is train car graffiti.
         Like this.


         Do you see what it says?
         It says: FOR ALL THE MISSING WOMEN IN JUAREZ
         What's that about? I wondered and I Googled it.
        

Juarez's Missing Girls Were Sex Slaves—And Everyone Knew It

Ciudad Juarez shaken by rising incidents of missing women - LA Times

'An open wound': Mexico's missing women and girls - CNN.com


         I skimmed through: Hundreds of young women have disappeared from the Mexican border city since 1993 — many of them teenagers who came to Juarez to work in the town's foreign-owned factories, known as "maquilladoras." The official toll is 260 women killed since 1993, but local women's groups believe the actual number is more than 400.
         I think I heard about this. I probably saw the ABC News story.
         My heart is sad, but I don't think we should forget them.
<<<<<>>>>> 
         I keep checking on my tadpoles. Not every day but several times a week. The last time I was down there I looked up and saw these critters on a lily leaf.


         "What are they?" you ask.
         These, my dears, are baby dragonflies. How cool is that!



>>>>><<<<< 
  
       This little guy was my helper as I cleaned out my flowerbed this past week. Yeah, it's Spitfire.


         And these are the sad little Grape Hyacinth that I transplanted from where they were growing wild. Mike was filling holes along a fence line and they would have gotten buried. On the other side are the flags, or irises, that Miss Helen had given me. I need to get in there and clean the grass out of there too, but I was pooped after doing this side.


         While I was mixing the top soil with the Miracle Grow garden soil that Mike bought me, I heard gobble, gobble, gobble. I listened and it sounded like it was coming from the barn on the hill. I picked up my camera and walked up to see.
         There he was!


         Is it a he?
         He didn't let me get too close before he took off and went into the weeds. Thank goodness for zoom.
         This is quince. I didn't know I had a quince bush until I saw the flowers. Unfortunately, he's a little broken right now. It was one of the bushes that Mike had started to remove.


         "I'll leave it alone and we'll see if it comes back," Mike told me.
         Do you remember the cedar apple rust I'd shown you?


         We've been having a lot of rain lately and do you know what cedar apple rust looks like when it's wet?
         No?
         Well, let me show you. 


  
         While working —er, playing— in my shop I can look out the window and see all the pretty birds at my feeder.
         One time I look up and the feeder is where it's supposed to be, hanging from the awning. The next time I look up it's on the ground.
         This handsome guy is a Rose-breasted Grosbeak.


         He gave way as the Red-winged Blackbird approached.


         Mr. Cardinal cocked his head sideways as he tried to figure out what the clicking noise of my camera was.


         The Downey Woodpecker took his turn at the feeder. Nothing went to waste.


         Watching the birds at the feeder is one of the simple pleasures of life.
         This pretty little flower is called Birds-eye Speedwell.


         My lilacs are blooming and boy-oh-boy was I surprised! I had both white and purple lilacs on the same bush!


         "Are you sure?" brother Richard asked when I told him.
         "I think so, but I didn't trace it back to the ground."
         I made it a point to go back outside the next day and check to make sure. The branches twist around so much that I couldn't be sure, so I went to one of the other lilac bushes and there it was, a white one and a purple one on the same branch.



         When the purple lilacs opened up I was confronted with a sight I'd never seen before. White-edged purple lilacs. Aren't they pretty?


         I turned to Google and found out that these are indeed a kind of lilac. They're called Sensation Lilacs.
         I had no idea. See! I don't know so much as I think I know!
        I think this is chokecherry. I'll be able to tell a little better when the fruit comes on.


         And then the rains came. It rained and rained and rained. The wind kicked up and it was fierce. Combine soggy ground and high winds and what do you get? Trees coming down all over the place, that's what! Power lines came down all over the place and Monday saw more than 8,000 people without power. They forecasted we would be without power until Thursday! Our area had power again in the late hours of Tuesday night — around 10 pm, I think. Where the storm damage was heavier they were without power longer than that. On Friday another storm moves through and some areas lost power again! Not ours though. It's been a tough time for the electric companies and they called out for help in getting the power lines back up. Power companies from all over sent crews in to help.
         One thing about storms though. They make for some pretty fabulous sunset pictures!




<<<<<>>>>> 

         When the mowers had gone through two weeks ago, they cleared the lines to the hunting cabin behind our property and while doing so, they found a culvert and opened it up for us.
         "That's why our pond was dry last year," Mike guessed. "The culvert was plugged."
         With all of the rain, Mike couldn't help but wonder how the water was flowing. "I think I'll go see what's going on up there," Mike said and during a lull in the storm he jumped on the golf cart and took off. He wasn't gone very long when he came back. "How's it look?" I asked.
         "I don't know, I couldn't get up there."


         "Why not?"
         "There's a power line down across the road."


         I tried to call Claverack, our electric company, but the lines were busy. I got up on FaceBook and sent a message to my beautiful cousin Stacey. She works at Claverack.
         "The power lines are down at the cabin behind our place and there is no one there to report it. I tried to call but the lines are busy."
         "I'll take care of it," Stacey told me. "In the meantime, stay away from them."
         I assured her we would and a few hours later a crew showed up and disconnected the downed power line.


         Once it was safe, Mike went up to see how the water was flowing through the culvert.
         "What do you think?" I asked when he came back.
         "I think I need to clean it out a little more." Mike took the tractor up and tried to clean it out on his own but he needed my help. "I need you to sight it for me so I don't hit the culvert."
         While Mike was hand shoveling I wandered around taking pictures.


        I had my rain boots on so I got right down in the water to shoot a picture up into the culvert. When I picked my left foot up to climb up out of the ditch, I realize my boot was stuck in the mud. I could probably have gotten my boot unstuck, with a little patience and wiggling, but I'd already committed to the step. My foot came up out of the boot and the next step found my white sock ankle deep in mud and water. 
         I laughed. What else can you do! And I was thankful it was just my sock and not my bottom!
         Mike, gentleman that he is, went down in the ditch and retrieved my boot.


>>>>><<<<< 

         On the way home from an errand into town, Mike drove around a little. This, as you can plainly see, is an old electrical panel. I can almost see a face in it.


         And this old farm house is one I've been photographing for years. It has an old lilac bush growing up beside the house and now it looks as if they are quarrying stones from someplace on the property.



<<<<<>>>> 

         The Kipp's managed to get a walk in, in between storms this past week and stopped for a visit.
         "Rosie saw a new wildflower across the road at the edge of your property," Lamar said.
         "I never saw anything like it," Rosie said. "It has a broad leaf and the flower is a deep red. It's on the end of a long narrow stalk and it's about this big." Rosie made a circle with her finger indicating it was a couple of inches across. "
         It wasn't long until Mike and I went in search of the mysterious wildflower that the Kipp's spotted. We drove past it in the golf cart the first time but Mike spotted it when we came back down. This is Purple Trillium but it is more common in white. Trillium is a fragile flower and while it is beautiful to look at, should not be picked. It seriously injures the plant by preventing the leaf-like bracts from producing food for the next year, often effectively killing the plant and ensuring none will grow in its place. Some species of trillium are listed as endangered and it's illegal to pick them.


         As I read about trillium I smiled when I came to the description of its scent. 
        "It's a good thing Rosie didn't smell it," I told Mike.
         "Why?" he asked.
         "The flowers have the smell of rotting meat, as they are pollinated by flies," I read.
        

         Well, my loves, I have more stories to tell but as I said in the beginning, time is flying right past me and has marched from Sunday into Monday.                           Let's call this one done.


No comments:

Post a Comment