Thursday, May 5, 2016

Fooled Me -- And Other Photos

Hello, hello, hello!
So! 
I couldn’t fit all of my photos in my last blog and I promised an extra posting this week — and here it is.
I have taken lots of photos of the wild geranium, and here are just two.  
I don’t show as much constraint when it comes to the berry blossoms yet to come.



I have no clue what these are, but they remind me of Chinese lanterns.


The birth of a leaf. These leaves come out in a big pod, the pod splits and the leaves burst forth. 
“What kind of tree is it?” you ask.
I don’t know.



I tend to think of the grasses as maturing in the late summer, early fall, but of course that isn’t true. They mature all summer long. I think I must be too busy looking at everything else to notice the lowly grasses. 




I don’t know what these little guys are. 
They scuttle around in the sand and get covered in it so much so that they look like a mound of walking sand sometimes.


Hoary puccoon with a little green hopper on him.


Fooled me.
I thought it was a bird sitting there by the brush pile but it isn’t. It’s just a piece of wood.


I captured one of the tiny little hairstreaks with his wings open. 
Aren’t they pretty? 
The color on the inside is much more vivid than the outside. 
He’s sitting on a spring beauty and in case you didn’t know, spring beauties are only about the size of your thumbnail.


A sparrow on a fence post.


I stopped and visited the aphids again. 
They were gone the next time I came through.



I thought those little brown things on the ever green trees were little pine cones, but they are not. The brown part pops off and there is new growth under it. (Don’t laugh, I didn’t know.)


This is an English plantain. 
They bloom from the bottom up and are a favorite food of the rabbits!


This is a small green flower in a shrub of some sort. 


Honeysuckle!


An iris after the rain. These flowers are also called flags.


Don’t know.


Almost stepped on him getting flower pictures. 


You know something?
I have seen this flower before — lots of times even — but I thought I’d missed its bloom and now it was gone and all droopy.
I was wrong.
This is how this wildflower looks and it is called a bellwort. 
With his head all droopy like this, they say the flowers are nodding.


Do you think this hurts the tree?


Trumpet honeysuckle in bloom. 
I wonder how I can transplant some to my mountain home? 
I wonder if that is even a good idea. I wouldn’t want to loose another invasive species. 
I’ll have to Google it.  


This one has a couple of names. 
We call it pussytoes but it is also called Indian tobacco. 
The plants are either male or female and the girls get a little touch of crimson. 
Yay for girls! 
This wildflower is in the same family with daisies and sunflowers.


I have walked this route many, many, many times over the years and never saw this wildflower before! 
It is called wood betony and is a common lousewort. 
It is usually light yellow but can be tinged with pink or purple. 
It might not surprise you to know that this wildflower is in the snapdragon family.



White clover.


This little wildflower is little and I mean little! 
“How little is it?” you ask. 
Here is a picture for perspective. 
Here it is next to a yellow buttercup and you know buttercups are little. 
“What is it?” you ask.
This cracks me up. It’s called corn salad and it’s an herb.



Fooled me — until I got closer. 



Don’t know.


 Hairstreak.


An assassin bug on a honeysuckle. 


This one is called black medic and is in the pea family.



This is one of the many varieties of buttercups called Harvey’s buttercup.


My attempt to capture a dragonfly in flight. 
Do you see what is lurking in the water under him?



A daddy long legs, or harvestmen spider on an un-bloomed bergamot. 
I love the bergamot and can’t wait for it to open.


Nother spider.


I think these are raspberry blooms because I thought raspberries bloom before blackberries which come on later in the summer. My cute little redheaded brother says he believes the blooms come on about the same time for both species of berry.
I can’t decide which photo to show you so you get to see four of them. 





I found a columbine growing wild. It may have escaped from a garden someplace or it could be a wild one. I didn’t know they came in this color, I thought they only came in red color. 
“Oh no!” my friend Margaret said when I asked her if she knew what it was. “That’s a columbine. They come in lots of colors!” 
I brought one home and put it in an empty cinnamon jar with some water. The holes for the shaker kept him upright. 



A pretty iridescent green sweat bee on a honeysuckle.


A pretty pearl crescent.


A skipper.


Wild garlic!


See him?


Black locust.


Look what they did to the trees!
Sigh.
I have to remember that when one thing goes, it makes room for something else to grow.


This is called clovers, but it has two other names too; bedstraw and goose grass. 
This is one of the little devils that will stick to your clothes.


Oxeye daisies with foliage flower spiders, also called crab spiders. 
I don’t know what that other bug is.



See him?


Damsel flies.


This is two shots of the same ladybug, just for my friend Barb, who is a ladybug lover. 



A pretty lemon yellow flag.


I love the blue-eyed grass flowers.


A nest among the cat tails.


Multiflora roses. They are invasive but they still smell like roses.


Fooled me.


Itsy cracks me up. 


Some kind of a hopper on a buttercup.


Well guys, I think we will call this one done!

No comments:

Post a Comment