Sunday, February 21, 2016

This And That

Sunday, February 21, 2016

It has been another quiet week in this household.

I spent part of the week working on the next chapter of The Great RV Adventure. On this leg of the trip we arrive in Minnesota and it’s the last time I saw Kat.

I’ve been dragging my feet. I’m not really sure why although the writer in me can come up with a few scenarios.

Could it be because it has been ten months and a lifetime ago since I made this trip with Patti’s friend Lori and my mom and I am losing the details?

Could it be because had I known it would be the last time I would ever get to see Kat on this side of heaven that it might have been different? I would have held her a little longer, kissed her a little more?

Whatever the reason I found myself just sitting and staring at her photo and remembering that day, trying to recall every detail and I am a little sad. A little sad because she didn’t stay very long and so there isn’t that much to remember.



After spending twenty minutes doing nothing but staring at Kat’s beautiful face, I decided to let my Facebook friends and family in on what was happening with me. I posted this picture of Kat. I’m trying to write the next part of the RV story and find myself just sitting and staring at this photo, I wrote.

I got the usual sympathy comments but let everyone know I wasn’t looking for sympathy. No I’m sorry’s. We are all sorry.

“What were you looking for then Peg?” you ask.

I don’t know. I’m just not ready to let her be forgotten yet. My favorite comment came after my No I’m sorry’s comment. “It is a beautiful picture to look at,” my friend Linda wrote. She is a good friend.

We are getting on down this road of grief and healing.

My RV story has taken me to the doorway of Kat’s visit and now I just need to step through and get this leg of the journey done.

So!

I have been working on the RV story, one sentence, one picture, one memory at a time.

<<<<<>>>>>

I had been meaning to get over and visit with Miss Helen for over a week now but between our two busy schedules I couldn’t manage it until Friday.

We talked for a couple of hours and I thought Miss Helen looked so pretty in her silky, rose-covered sitting robe. Our conversation revolved around theology and family and yes, Miss Helen looks a little sad. She is going to Kansas City to spend her birthday and Easter with her daughter and by the time she returns, Mike and I may be gone to Pennsylvania for the summer.





Once I left Miss Helen’s, I went to see my favorite Jersey Boy.



I had arrived just in time to accompany him to Happy Hour where they serve drinks and cotton candy. The theme for this week’s party was the 50’s and they had put headbands on some of the residents and the director was dressed in a poodle skirt and Mary Janes.



Mr. B likes to show off my photos and as I took photos of different people, he would call them over to see.

“You take good pictures,” one lady - the niece of another resident -said. “Would you take photos at my friend’s wedding?”

“No,” I told her. “Weddings are important and I wouldn’t want to mess it up. She needs to hire someone who does that kind of thing.”

“She just wants someone to take a few photos,” she said and I heard, she doesn’t want to pay for a photographer.

“You know what? When my kids got married they just put a whole bunch of disposable cameras around on the tables and let the guests take pictures. At the end they collected all the cameras.” Kevin and Kandyce also hired a professional photographer too, but I didn’t say that.

“That’s a great idea! I’ll have to tell her,” she paused and tried one more time. “You won’t do it? You won’t take her wedding pictures?”

“No,” I said unapologetically and in a voice that made it final.

I turned back to Mr. B. Although I don’t photograph hands very often I think they are fascinating and tell a story. I’d gotten Miss Helen’s hands earlier and decided to pose Mr. B’s and this is that.



Looking at the photos, I think Miss Helen’s relaxed hand is definitely a better shot than Mr. B’s posed ones. “Mr. B! Look at you!” I said snapping a couple of photos and pointing out the bruising on his hands and arms.

“I know, geeze,” he said scrubbing at his face with his hand. “If I don’t have this thing on,” and he felt around his waist for a gait belt. I had seen one on him on a previous visit. “…oh I don’t have it on. If I don’t have it on the girls just grab me anywhere.”

Yeah. It doesn’t take much to rip and bruise the thin skin of our elderly. So I always offer my hand or arm and let them hold onto me, then I won’t bruise them. Of course that won’t work if they are falling, but still, I want you all to remember this-

Don’t grab their arms if you are just aiding them. Give them your hand or arm and let them hold onto you!

>>>>><<<<<

My beautiful cousin Shannon found this collage of my family when she was going through her mother’s things and it arrived in my mail box this past week. Well, technically it wasn’t in my box. My post office box is way too small for that. The notice to pick up a package was in the box and Mike went to the counter and retrieved it.



I’d never seen a five dollar stamp before and this had three of them on there- plus a little!

I don’t think there are any photographs in here that we haven’t seen before but if there is anything that anyone wants, let me know.

Shannon also sent me the memorial cards for Aunt B. I will mail one to anyone who wants one, just let me know.

And dear sweet Shannon, who knows how much I love nature, sent me her mother’s wildflower guide book. Thank you Shannon. You are so kind and thoughtful and I am proud to call you family.

<<<<<>>>>>

Let’s end this week with photos from my walk-abouts with the girls.

A junco.



Ginger, with her little tongue hanging out, after snuffling in a pile of dried leaves.



I walked down the old schoolhouse road again a couple of times this past week and photographed it every time I went past it.



An old pull tab beer can.



The ducks heard us long before I got to the edge of the little pond in the woods.



Ginger saying hello to someone’s kitty cat.



It’s all water under the bridge…well maybe it’s water coming through a culvert.



An old fence post.



The daffies are coming up!



I saw a butterfly! My first of the year.



Our friend Margaret told me that her backyard is full of robins but I haven’t seen any yet.

Flowers, butterflies, robins… you know spring is on the way!

And bugs. Let’s not forget bugs. The water skimmers are out.



And the frogs too, but I couldn’t get any of them.

And this is the face of pure joy after having a roll in the dried grasses by the edge of the pond (and probably there was some stinky perfume in there too).




A boatload of old motors mounted to a rail.




Ginger hanging out the window on a car ride. I’m shooting into the spotty side mirror.




And lastly, a sparrow on top of fence post is my current desktop photo.



Let’s call this one done!

No comments:

Post a Comment