Friday, October 9, 2015

Photos Sept 19




 
Gray Hairstreak
 




Brown eyed Susan's are almost gone but I like how the center of each flower opens up with it's on little flower 


 
 Showy partridge pea
 
 
Aster



 
Skipper
 


I chased this guy halfway across a field! I didn't know what I was chasing. Until this point all I knew was that it was something that flew. I was thinking katydid but got grasshopper.
 




Chickweed Geometer
This colorful, butterfly-like moth flies during the day. It’s called a geometer (“earth measurer”) because the larvae are “inchworms” that loop their bodies with each “step” they take.
 

 
Old schoolhouse
 







 
 This guy's name is what he looks like. He's a yellow antenna black spider wasp.
Spider wasps use a spider as a host for feeding their larvae. They paralyse the spider with a sting and drag it to the nest. A single egg is laid on the abdomen of the spider and the nest is sealed. When the egg hatches, the larva feeds on the spider. Ewww!
 



Nuts!
 



No comments:

Post a Comment